NVC Wiki Technical Issues
Requests & Questions
I use "Recent changes" to conveniently see what's new here every few days. Unfortunately there seems to be a spammer who's trying to get search engine ratings by posting the same list of URLs on on dozens of unprotected pages. This spammer seems to use "zombie" computers, so the IP addresses aren't all the same. Three problems:
- Those spams are blocked from display, but still sometimes mess up the normal display of affected pages.
- When I use "Recent changes" there are usually several pages of random IP addresses that make it very difficult to sort out spams from legitimate posts by people not logged in. Even when someone was logged in, it's easy to miss their name amid all the spam posts.
- When admin removes the spams, sometimes there's another long list of "changes" for spam removal.
I'm wondering: is there a way to automatically purge the spams and spam removals from the change list? -John W. 21:29, 20 July 2006 (CEST)
This has not been progressed - Sophie suggests - as the logo in place is rather nice, (setting aside any copyright issues about using the puppets?), perhaps the colour scheme of the rest of the skin could be developed to match - eg. use of red, terracotta, cream, dark brown or black, sepia etc. Perhaps the front page could then use the logo of the jackal/giraffe set in a world / globe, again with similar colours....
Notes and Ideas: multiplicity and connection (eg. leaves of a tree...variations on a theme...)
A subtitle for the title NVC WIKI? eg. Connecting the world with Empathy... compassionate connection through nonviolent communication ....collaborating with compassion to create a resource for nonviolent communication around the globe...your ideas?
Opportunities for design
Some of the obvious things that could be redesigned
- site front page
- logo/image (top left)
- everything that can be changed via the mutable css.
- 'frame' background colour/image, text
- frame tabs - colours, text, shape?
- page background colour, text
- body text styles
- navigation panel colours, border, text
Many of us prefer nvcwiki.org to nvcwiki.com, and no one has objected yet. Markus Pallo will look into changing it to so that nvcwiki.com gets redirected to nvcwiki.org (the opposite of how it is now).
Is it possible to have MediaWiki ignore capitalization, so that a link to "Social change" goes to a page called "Social Change" ? (and vice-versa)
As far as i understood the first letter wil be automatically uppercased. And i read the roadmap for the major plans for release 1.6 there is "Case-insensitive, case-preserving page titles" feature planned. see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap
Check if/how MediaWiki supports SisterSites. SisterSites is a feature which links wikis together. On any page which has the same name as pages on other wikis (those selected as "sisters" of the origin wiki), links automatically appear to those other wikis. See http://ourpla.net/cgi/pikie?SisterSites
Help by WikiMedia :
- language links (Guide for system administrators for setting up interwiki linking)
- Interlanguage link (software feature) (Interwiki linking)
- Documentation on customizing the interface for different languages
Two ways to create links pointing to other languages pages in the same wiki :
- a link which will appear in the left column
- Example 1
[[fr:NVC Wiki - Questions techniques]]appears on this page below the tab in other languages
- a link wich will remain in the right part of the page
- Example 2
[[:fr:NVC Wiki - Questions techniques]]becomes fr:NVC Wiki - Questions techniques
Other ways the net/computers can support NVC
Initiate a website providing the quality of interactions one can find here :
Here is an example :
- the conference (ConferenceNantes2003) one can find there is both in english and french, was given by Marshall B. Rosenberg during 2003 at Nantes, France, and translated in french by Godfrey Spencer and Anne Bourrit. It can be downloaded with free/open source softwares, as described for BitTorrent.
- it is also described here : http://dieudo.dyndns.org/spip/Conference-de-Nantes [fr]
Other CMS for NVC
Here are the CMS being used or considered for and by the NVC World's networks :
- http://www.opensourcecms.com where you can test many CMS (public and private part). The ones using PHP and MySQL (for others, see for example what is said about plone) .
Does the wiki have email digest option ?