Global NVC website
NVCglobal - a website which helps anyone in the world connect to NVC resources in their own languages
Main components of NVCglobal website:
- EMPATHY - how to get empathy in your language
- NEWS - blogs (aggregated), tweets, forums and Q&A, with translation
- INFO - to give people an idea of the global NVC network consists of
Anybody wanting to help is welcome - please introduce yourself to Ray Taylor or Dieudonné Dard or Pan Vera.
Possible elements for a landing page:
............................................NVC Global Signpost Site ........................
which will automatically appear in main language of the region of the user:
for an example of how translation can work, please see www.nvcnet.net
On this landing page, you can choose between 1. EMPATHY, 2. NEWS and 3. INFORMATION
SIGNPOST 1: EMPATHY
HOW TO FIND LIFE-TRANSFORMING EMPATHY
....................................For sources of empathy, choose from the following languages: [here]
THIS SIGNPOST IS TO BE UPDATED / MAINTAINED BY A GCC MEMBER
it links primarily to NVClink and EmpathyNow and certified trainers speaking the respective language
SIGNPOST 2: NEWS
news from the global, multilingual Nonviolent Communication community and related social change projects
essentially this will be a place where existing NVC blogs and Twitter streams can all be found in one place (aggregation) and translated, so that (eg) people working on NVC projects in prisons in China can notice news of projects in Egypt and Portugal.
THIS SIGNPOST IS TO BE UPDATED / MAINTAINED BY A DEDICATED TRANSLATION COORDINATOR
appointed by the GCC; news is in the form of very brief snippets, so that they can be easily translated
and sent/received via text messaging, including Africa
We have been experimenting with these news sites:
www.nvcnet.net and www.NVCglobal.com
SIGNPOST 3: INFORMATION
(A) Something like YahooAnswers or Quora or About.com
(B) A mindmap or Lonely Planet style guide with
PERMANENT INFORMATION CATEGORIES: Click on any item below to be taken to an internet links directory.
A. WHAT'S HAPPENING
1. Social Change projects (includes schools, restorative justice, environment)
2. News (the main thing which we actively translate over time; special Africa section)
3. Get information from a live person via NVC hotline
1. How to get help to start to an NVC group near you
2. Online resources:
wikis (English, French, German, request a wiki in your language here; online study resources; YouTube, clips, and podcasts
3. Organisations: Center for Nonviolent Communication, national and state trainers networks, major centres and well-established online groups that are able to make "whole group" decisions
4. Publications in various languages: books, pdfs, and our publishers + our volunteer translators make a translation request here!
1. Stories - biographies, celebrations and mournings (an NVC global scrapbook and shared memories)
2. Online groups: Facebook, Linked-In, email groups, personal blogs etc
3. Online Empathy: EmpathyNow and Empathy hotline, empathy chatroom (multilinguial)
1. Synergy project organisations and networks who share some or all of our vision
2. Others - what we haven't been able to fit anywhere else - some of the best stuff is here!
3. The invisible network of empathy - there are no links here: just try all the other links and enjoy connecting!
INVISIBLE NOTE: EACH PART OF THIS SIGNPOST IS CREATED / MAINTAINED BY A SEPARATE PERSON,
appointed by the GSC; the GSC creates and maintains B1 ("starting an NVC group near you")
and B3 (organisations) and A1 (social change, though A1 could on a time-limited basis
link to CNVC)
THE WIKIs AND COMMUNITY CATEGORIES ARE OPEN for contributions from many users
WE WILL NEED VOLUNTEER CREATORS/MAINTAINERS for all other categories
About us GSC: Global service circle runs this website and supports global connection
GLOBAL SERVICE CIRCLE - example draft OF Vision, Mission and Activities
- The global service circle of the Nonviolent Communication network is dedicated to helping create a world in which the needs* of all are
recognised and taken account of, and where people support each other to connect courageously and compassionately.
- We want to be part of a thriving network which is communicating across language groups and between continents, starting initiatives that support
compassion, connection and the meeting of universal needs worldwide.
- We long to see online resources that make it easy for people to find what they need, especially if they are newcomers to NVC, or in a country where
NVC is just gettying started, or speak a language with fewer translated materials.
- We long to see the network globally able to communicate with itself in a way that supports productive synergies, celebration and, when needed, mourning.
- We work to create a quality of connection between ourselves and others where this is more likely.
- We support people who are interested in Nonviolent Communication to connect with others, and with useful resources.
- We try hard to connect up parts of our network which speak different languages.
- We maintain this signposting web site, which intends to be something like
a multilingual "travellers guide" to all elements of the global Nonviolent
- We may help the organisations listed in Information section B2 network with
each other, if requested.
- We resist taking on other roles, so that we can perform these three roles
effectively and to a high quality standard, and not get burnt out from stress.
- We regret we are unable to respond to individual queries at the moment, but
many of the organisations listed in section B2 are able to do so.
* We define needs as "what all humans must have at some time in order to be healthy, happy and fulfilled". We include the need to contribute to the well-being of others, needs for respect/justice/autonomy/freedom/growth, needs for food/movement warmth/a clean environment, and needs for love/community/relationship. We draw on the work of Marshall Rosenberg for our understanding of needs, and some of us refer also to Manfred Max-Neef and Abraham Maslow to inform our definition of needs.
THE STORY SO FAR
First call summary
Simple phase 1 and then celebration
- News/knowledge site
- Beautiful basic structure
- No/little new content creation - drawing on existing sites
- Possible elements::
- landing page with language options:
- signposts/Lonely Planet guide to major elements of the network:
- network news translated:
- trainers operating in Africa, past present and future + how to contact:
- NVC chat/empathy service on the site,:
- resources (eg how to write a press release, how to start a group):
- searches by topic or category or geography:* Jeff has lots of links:
- NVCwiki integrated
Who would work on this
RAY - content + languages + language groups PAN - yes - drupal, time zones and languages JEFF - yes, searching for relevant content to link to JOACHIM - maybe reviewing things, limited energy; partner interestedin e-learning DIEUDONNÉ - taking care (webmaster); loving to transmitt the efficiencyof the shared power a community can devellop through the wiki-typeapproach NOAM - interested to help out. Want first to investigate englishnvcwik to make this effort efficient. Want NVChotline to be part ofthis effort, as an online connection tool for nvc people. Am softwareengineer.***
Ray proposes Ray to talk to Pan about language and time aspectsFirst content: basic signposting Pan proposes a write up off these notes and a review of technology Jeff says "send notes to all GCC telecon group"agreed Pan and Ray will do thisResearch Pan - web architectureRay - language softwarePan and Ray make initial proposals and share with Noam and Joachim.
Everybody to send ideas for what resources should be signposted onthe global site - ideas to be sent to Ray
Next call second week of september 2010 (Jeff commits to organize)