Board Agenda & Minutes 06/11/08
- 1 Minutes of Meeting of June 11, 2008
- 1.1 In attendance
- 1.2 Announcements and Administrative matters
- 1.3 Financial Report (Margo & Valentina)
- 1.4 Communications Coordinator Position Update (Marshall, Margo & Valentina)
- 1.5 Appreciation of Jim and Jori’s work
- 1.6 New Board Members (Margo)
- 1.7 Hiring Update (Margo)
- 1.8 Update on Education Services Department (Marshall & Valentina)
- 1.9 Update of time line established in the February 2008 Board meeting (Margo)
- 1.10 John Wiley Farewell
- 1.11 Change of dates for board meetings in July and December
- 1.12 Meeting was completed with check-out
- 1.13 ACTION ITEMS, SUMMARY
- 1.14 Original Agenda for Wednesday, June 11, 2008 Board Meeting
Minutes of Meeting of June 11, 2008
CNVC Board Minutes 06/11/2008 Meeting
- - Robert Gonzales
- - John Wiley
- - Valentina Rosenberg
- - Margo Pair
- - Marshall Rosenberg
- - Stefan Wisbauer
- - Gail Taylor
Absent: Jori Manske
Facilitator: John Buck
- - Martha Lasley (Pennsylvania, USA)
- - Mercedes Frace (Florida, USA)
- - Glenda Mattinson (Toronto,Canada)
- - Matthew (South Africa)
Recorder: Jason Mills
Minutes compacted and prepared by Margo Pair and Elin Skappel.
The meeting was called to order 1:15 PM MDT (19:15 UTC)
Announcements and Administrative matters
- Observer policy stated
- Jori Manske is unable to attend today’s meeting. Jori and Jim are attending a wake for Jim’s mother. A minute of silence was observed.
- Minutes for the May 14, 2008 Board meeting were accepted.
- The agenda for today was accepted.
- Added to the agenda: A time for appreciation of John Wiley, who is resigning from the board.
Financial Report (Margo & Valentina)
Profit and Loss report and Balance Sheet provide information through the end of April 2008. Net income has increased. Moving the office from California to New Mexico has contributed to reducing reoccurring expenses.
- Proposal: Margo requested the Board’s approval to transfer and invest from our cash account an additional $200,000 into 90 Money Market Accounts. Robert, Valentina and Margo will need some time to investigate long term investments. One criteria for investment will be social conscience.
Floor open for questions, none. Proposal accepted.
- Action Item: Robert, Valentina and Margo will investigate long term investment prospects and apply the $200,000 approved by the board into 90 Money Market Accounts.
Communications Coordinator Position Update (Marshall, Margo & Valentina)
Glenda Madison has been hired as the GCC Coordinator starting the end of the month, during this time Jim, Jori and Glenda are transitioning with each other. The GCC Team recommended Glenda as the new Leadership Team member. Glenda has also accepted the Communications Coordinator position. The Communications Coordinator is a paid position with scheduled reviews to evaluate and identify needs and set priorities as the work progresses. There will be a monthly review and an evaluation within 3 months to see if this fulfills everyone’s needs.
- Action Item: Glenda will look into co-development in fund-raising opportunities to support the two positions.
Glenda was welcomed by the Board, and the expertise, warmth and clarity that she brings to these positions were celebrated.
- Request: Robert requested that Valentina share reviews with the Board President through email.
Appreciation of Jim and Jori’s work
The board members came together in appreciation of Jim and Jori. The extensive work they provided in establishing the network of connections in the GCC was praised, as was their contribution to the board and community in general. The assistance, inspiration, warmth and energy they provided to so many, and the dedication they show to both the concept of NVC and the community have made a great impact on where the CNVC is today and a deep gratitude and appreciation was expressed amongst the board members.
New Board Members (Margo)
Margo requested input on candidates to contact as prospective board members. Please submit your candidates to Margo.
Floor opened for comments:
Upon Valentina’s request, Stefan announced that he would happily commit to another year on the board. The board approved and much celebration followed!
- Decision: Stefan's term on the board was extended for one year.
Gail recommended Martha for the Board. She suggested that the IIT area coordinators help forward more observers to the meeting.
Margo stated that she would enjoy increasing diversity to balance men, women and different continents, and that it would be great to have more participation around the world. She would like to bring in expertise in marketing or business to assist in expanding and moving the organization forward.
- Action Item: Stefan will connect with a contact in Geneva who has extensive experience with foundations and invite him to join a future board call.
- Action Items: Gail volunteered to assist contacting area leaders and other people in the community for recommendations for prospective board members. Gail will also send out observer invitations.
Hiring Update (Margo)
Our bookkeeper had to leave due to family emergency and health issues. We have been interviewing for a new bookkeeper and just hired Randy Eoff, who started with us at the beginning of this month. As our bookkeeper Randy will be working with me to bring the financial records within GAP. Randy is a CPA.
While we have gone through two rounds of interviews, we have not yet found the person to fill our Office Manager position. Priority has been placed on the bookkeeping department.
Selection committee for Media Coordinator
Marshall and Valentina introduced me to a gentleman that might be interested in being part of the team, but not coordinator. We would like to repeat the request to the board members for recommendations in regards to potential candidates.
Update on Education Services Department (Marshall & Valentina)
Marshall is developing the assessor training in Stuttgart, working with criteria developed by Rita, Lucy Lu and Barbara Larson, along with the questionnaire Robert sent out. There will be 23 candidates attending the assessor training in Stuttgart.
A meeting with the Certification Team is scheduled for next Monday, team structure, board recommendation and communications guidelines will be on the agenda. Marshall and Valentina are looking forward to the meeting and are pleased that everyone will be able to attend.
The Certified Trainers’ annual renewal period is almost completed, we are waiting to hear from 6 to 8 people. Letters have been sent out this week to the ones who have not recertified, asking how they are and why they were not recertifying.
Assessor training for North America has yet to be determined. We have received responses from some people who would like to attend the training in Albuquerque in October, to be held at the Madonna cCenter. We would appreciate additional thoughts and ideas via email.
Floor was opened for comments.
- Action Item: Robert is interested in offering guidelines to pre-assessment, but stated it would take some time to flesh out.
Gratitude was expressed to Marshall and Valentina for their work.
Update of time line established in the February 2008 Board meeting (Margo)
There was a review and discussion leading to the following accepted adjustments to time line:
- Moved “Hire Office Manager” and “3 New Board Members Added” to Third Quarter 2008.
- Moved “Hire Grant Writer” to Fourth Quarter 2008.
- Moved “2nd Staff Trainer Hired” to 2009.
John Wiley Farewell
John Wiley expressed his appreciation to the “wonderful band of souls” of the board and hoped everyone could feel the love and appreciation from his heart. The board members celebrated John’s contributions to the board, and his way of making them feel welcome, his great support, his integrity – and his sense of humor, and the warmth that John and Anne have extended to them.
John Buck stated that John Wiley’s resignation was not officially accepted until next board meeting, both to keep as VP of record and to help with Wiki. John Wiley objected to this, and stated he really wished to end immediately, but that he would stay and offer help if needed. John Buck suggested Jori as a backup if needed.
Change of dates for board meetings in July and December
Proposed and accepted change of regular schedule board meeting dates for the month of July and December 2008.
- July 2008 will be on the 23rd, time 1900 GMT, provides the ability for a majority of board members attendance.
- December 2008 will be on the 17th, time 2000 GMT, appears to work for everyone.
Meeting was completed with check-out
ACTION ITEMS, SUMMARY
- Robert, Valentina and Margo will investigate long term investment prospects and apply the $200,000 approved by the board into 90 Money Market Accounts.
Communications Coordinator Position Update
- Glenda will look into co-development in fund-raising opportunities to support the two positions.
New Board Members
- Stefan will connect with a contact in Geneva who has extensive experience with foundations and invite him to join a future board call.
- Gail volunteered to assist contacting area leaders and other people in the community for recommendations for prospective board members.
- Gail will also send out observer invitations.
Update on Education Services Department
- Robert is interested in offering guidelines to pre-assessment, but stated it would take some time to flesh out.
Original Agenda for Wednesday, June 11, 2008 Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 23, starting at 19:15 GMT/UTC (1:15pm Albuquerque), teleconference
1.712-432-1600; code 825078#
NOTE: THIS AGENDA IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT: . ANY LAST MINUTE UPDATES WILL BE REFLECTED AT THIS SITE.
(1:15pm ABQ; 19.15 UTC) Check-in
(1:30) Administrative matters
- - Observer policy
- - Announcements
- - Acceptance of minutes of May 14, 2008 Board meeting
- - Acceptance of agenda for today
- (1:35) Financial report (Valentina & Margo)
- (1:45) Communications Coordinator Position Update (Marshall, Margo & Valentina)
- (2:00) New Board members (Margo)
- (2:15) Hiring Update (Margo)
- o Bookkeeping Department
- o Hiring: office manager
- o Selection committee for Media Coordinator
- (2:30) Update on Education Services Department (Marshall & Valentina)
- (2:45) Update of time line established in the February 2008 Board meeting (Margo)
- Timeline - 1 year
- * Jan - Mar, 2008: Publish new website, hire office manager, Certification restarted? Marshall's Article/WIGOApr
- * Apr-Jun, 2008: Hire Grant Writer, Communication Committee Report, 3 New Board Members Added, Hiring Web Content Mngr., 2nd Staff Trainer hired, First expanded LT Forum, Timeline for WIGO Project
- * Jul - Sep, 2008: Hire Media Coordinator, Hire Public Relations person, Marshall/Valentina in Europe, First Evolution Committee Meeting, Assessor's Training in Europe, Completion of Working WIGO model
- * Oct - Dec, 2008: In person Board Meeting, Website upgrade per Network Input, Start Marshall's Media Initiative (Podcasts, interacting with other communities for NVC education)
- Timeline - 5 years
- * 2009: Bring on Synergy Coordinator, Options for own building defined, Hire 3rd Staff Trainer
- * 2010: Building Lease ends (Mid-year), Start Certifying Organizations, First formal alliances with other Peace-making Organizations
- * 2011: Peace Center opens
- * 2012: CNVC on each populated continent/ de-centralized certification
(2:45) Check out
(3.00) End meeting